Tuesday 5 October 2010

The fair is in town ...

and amongst the brash glaring lights, gaudy stuffed animal prizes and stomach wrenching rides, there remains a gem of tradition in the form of the carousel ride. This is my kind of ride ...

The weather on the first day of the Abingdon Michaelmas Fair couldn't have been better. Early morning autumn haziness slowly gave way to beautiful late summer sunshine and warmth. I love the fair, the sights, the sounds but best of all the smells. Mmmmmmm ... hotdogs, onions, fresh doughnuts and candy floss ... yummy!

All too soon the fair will be gone and my little town will return to normal, but to me, the Michealmas Fair always triggers the start of autumn for real. Soon the clocks will be going back an hour, the central heating in my home will need to be turned on and I can finally put my lawn mower away for winter. Then of course my mind turns to all things spooktacular as I start planning for Halloween. My brother-in-law's birthday is the 31st October and this year he turns 40 ... the perfect excuse for a Halloween / birthday party don't you think?!?!?! Now if I could only convince him it's a good idea. Tee-hee!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now where did you get that weather from, and how do I get me some?! I can almost smell the chestnuts roasting in a brazier!

Selena

Helen said...

your love for all things Halloween make me giggle each year Sue. Fantastic!